Please Login



Here are answers to some of the more frequently asked questions. Please do not hesitate to send your questions so we can expand this list to make it even more useful for other students. You name will not be published.
Click on the text below to expand the selection.

Questions related to the Insurance Courses' Content

Are the Licensing Exam Courses current?

YES, We are committed to keep our courses up to date with the licensing exam requirements

*** December 2017
Many new lessons were added for risk management, and a few lessons were updated to match the current exam questions.

Common questions about the SAF1?

Here is a common quesiton we received about driver experience and insurance history on the Automobile Standard Application Form (SAF#1)

"I am having some issues with the claims and convictions and the number of years for them. The convictions are 3 and claims and accident is 6. Then there is license history which is 6 years and insurance history is 3. But I'm a little unsure how to tell them all apart."

The best way to approach this is to remember where it comes from and look there (context). It comes from the SAF #1 (standard application form)for automobile insurance.

Let’s look at the SAF #1, and clarify things.

Section 7a

Give particulars of all CONVICTIONS arising from the operation of any automobile during the past THREE years.

Section 7b

Give particulars of all ACCIDENTS or CLAIMS arising from the ownership or operation of any automobile during the past SIX years.

Section 9a

Has any insurer, to the knowledge of the applicant, cancelled, declined or refused to renew or issue automobile insurance to the applicant or drivers shown in item 5 within the THREE years preceding this application? If so, state name of insurer, and policy number if available.

What the insurer is trying to find out is:

  1. if any of the drivers listed in Section 5 had traffic convictions (speeding, DUI, suspension, etc) for a period of 3 years. Convictions affect the risk level of the policy, therefore may result in the insurer declining coverage, or charging a lot more.
  2. if there were any claims by the named insured for the vehicle listed, or any other vehicle operated by the named insured for the past 6 years. The number of claims, and the amounts involved will affect the premium for the policy. Who was at fault will also matter.
  3. If insurance was declined, cancelled or lapsed is an indicator of the financial responsibility of the insureds. This section is also to find out if there are any unpaid premiums owed to another insurer by the named insureds.
Do you have a course for the Level 3 Licensing Exam?

As part of the changes in 2012-2013, the Alberta Insurance Council added a Level 3 License for Alberta Brokers and Agents. The material in the Level II course, contains all the informaiton you need to prepare for this new licensing exam.

Where do I find the mindmaps and other printable documents for the courses?

All of the printable PDFs, like Policy Forms and Mind Maps are found within each lesson or module. Other related documents, not directly related to each lessons, are listed under Related Resources. Click on the links and you can open the PDFs to read it online or print it as you choose.

What were the changes made to the Licensing Requiremens in 2012?

Here is the Notice as posted on the Alberta Insurance Council's web site November 2012.
The purpose of this notice is to advise agents, brokers and adjusters of changes to the Insurance Agents and Adjusters Regulation, AR 122/2001. These changes are applicable to general insurance agents only and take effect November 7, 2012. The highlights of some of the changes are set out below:

  1. The amendment establishes a “Probationary” Certificate of Authority. This certificate permits an agency or insurer to engage a new person to act as an agent prior to completing the Level 1 agent examination. The probationary agent must act under the direct supervision of a Level 2 or Level 3 agent and the certificate expires in 90 days if the agent does not advance to a Level 1 license by passing the required examination. It can only be issued once for any individual;

  2. The amendment removes the existing requirement that a Level 1 agent must advance to the Level 2 status within three years of receiving the Level 1 certificate. A Level 1 agent will now be allowed to continue as a Level 1 but the agent is subject to ongoing supervision as well. Level 1 agents whose certificates were cancelled for failing to advance to Level 2 may be entitled to re-apply for the Level 1 certificate. The AIC will be contacting these individuals and the agency or insurer that employed them to specifically advise them of these changes;

  3. The current process for advancing from Level 1 to Level 2 requires the agent to write an examination based on either “Personal” or “Commercial” insurance. Going forward, Level 2 applicants will have to pass a single examination that covers both personal and commercial insurance; and

  4. The amendment creates a Level 3 certificate which will be issued to the Designated Representative of an agency. All Level 2 certificate holders who are currently the Designated Representative of an agency will be issued a Level 3 certificate. Those wishing to become a Designated Representative must successfully pass a Management Examination in addition to meeting all the current requirements.

Complete details of the changes and links to the regulation can be viewed on the Alberta Insurance Council website at

When and where can I write the licensing exam?

The Edmonton and Calgary offices of the Alberta Insurance Council conduct examinations every Monday on a weekly basis at the locations and times noted below. Normally in Edmonton and Calgary if the day of an examination is a holiday the exam will be held on the next day.

General and Adjusters examinations are written at 8:30 a.m.

Calgary Office
Suite 500, 222 - 58th Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta
Telephone 1-403-233-2929

Edmonton Office
Suite 600 Bell Tower, 10104 - 103 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
Telephone 1-780-421-4148

Fee: $50

Examinations are written in Red Deer, Lethbridge and Grande Prairie. Anyone wishing to write an examination in one of these locations must be pre-registered. To register please contact one of the AIC offices.

Complete details can be viewed on the Alberta Insurance Council website at

Removal Coverage, is it 7 or 30 days?

Here is another question that I get quite often. It is about Removal Coverage.
Q: "Property removed. Insured for 30 days or until expiry of policy. And what is the 7 day coverage. Is it the same? Removing property to protect from further damage."

Don’t confuse the 2, one is on the Homeowners’ form, it is for 30 days and is an extension of coverage for Property Removed. The other in under Regulations of Insurance, Content of Fire Polices Legislated and this one is 7 days minimum.

Here is the text from the IBC 1151, which are part of the resources for the Levels I & II course.

Extensions of Coverage: property removed. This was in Module 3 (Property Insurance) of the course
If you must remove insured property from your premises to protect it from loss or
damage, it is insured by this form for 30 days or until your policy term ends - whichever
occurs first. The amount of insurance will be divided in the proportions that the value of
the property removed bears to the value of all insured property at the time of loss.

And, this is from the Insurance Act, Regulation of Insurance Contracts. That was in Module 1 (Introduction to General Insurance) of the course.

Removal Coverage Legislated
If the property is not at the insured location at the moment of the loss, there is no coverage. Maximum is 7 days, except against the peril of fire. The rationale is that any time property can be removed from the fire in order to eliminate or reduce loss; the public interest is better served.
The insurer must extend policy coverages to a location(s) not insured by the policy when “insured property is necessarily removed from the location(s) specified to prevent loss, destruction or damage or further loss, damage or destruction… (Property Necessarily removed insured at unnamed locations)
The amount of insurance available for any loss to the property while at the unnamed location will be reduced by the amount paid for the loss at the named location.
The obligation on the insurer to extend insurance coverages to property at an unnamed location is for a limited time only. The insurer’s obligation ends after seven days or upon expiry of the policy, whichever is sooner. (Coverage at unnamed location limited to seven days)

What is the Reciprocal Agreement on SPF 1?

This is discussed in Module 2, under No Faults Insurance Plans. This is a reciprocal agreement between the provinces to what coverage would be given in case of accident involving a non-resident of that province.

What is the 'Priority of Payment' on the SPF 1?

This is discussed in Module 2, Automobile Insurance.
The "Priority of Payment" is to make sure that 3rd Party Liability payments for Injuries to people comes before payments for property damage, including vehicle(s). A 90% of the liability coverage on the policy is reserved for injuries to 3rd parties. This would matter if the total liability claim is larger than the insurance coverage purchased.

What is the difference between the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC), the Insurance Institute of Canada (IIC) and the Alberta Insurance Council (AIC)?

Alberta Insurance Council: regulates provincial insurance contracts, monitors provincially registered insures and issues licenses for agents and brokers.

Insurance Bureau of Canada is the national industry association representing Canada’s private home, car and business insurers. Its member companies represent 90% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada.The Insurance Bureau of Canada is mainly for consumer information, it's main role is to educate the public on insurance topics and issues. They also lobby the governments for changes that could help reduce losses across the country. Examples: changes to building codes, highway acts or local provincial Insurance Acts and legislation on behalf of Canadian Consumers. One of the great thing they do is provide the IBC forms, that are templates that uses common language and that Insurers base their own policy wordings on.

The Insurance Institute is the premier source of professional education and career development for the country’s property and casualty insurance industry. Established in 1899, the Institute is a not-for-profit organization serving more than 39,000 members across Canada through 19 volunteer-driven provincial institutes and chapters. Over 20,000 of those members are students and more than 17,000 are graduates who have earned the Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation or Fellow Chartered Insurance Professional (FCIP) designation.

The Institute sets professional standards for the industry through education programs that lead to a range of designations, including the internationally recognized Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) and Fellow Chartered Insurance Professional (FCIP). Graduates of these programs continue to enhance their expertise, experience and professional relationships by participating in the Institute-sponsored CIP Society.

On behalf of the industry, the Institute also conducts demographic research and produces reports and publications. We strive to keep our members up to date on insurance industry news and Institute happenings in our various newsletters, including IQ: Institute Quarterly, email updates and local news from our individual institutes and chapters from around Canada.

What is the Office of the Superintendent of Insurance in Alberta?

The Office of the Superintendent of Insurance regulates and creates policy for the insurance market in the province to ensure that Albertans have affordable access to the insurance coverage they require, by monitoring the effectiveness of the market, and responding to the needs of the province and its citizens.

What are 'bare land condo' endorsements?

These are also know as “Bare Land Stratas". It is a Homeowner Policy where the lot is the “unit” and the condo/homes built on these “units” are actually detached private structure.

Insurers sell these when the land is owned by the Condo Association but the home is owned by the insured. Usually detached homes and some duplexes.

So rather than sell them a Condo protection policy they sell a Homeowners policy with extension for the Condo. As they are still part of a Condo Association they may share responsibility for some things. example: Common area, some liability.

Questions about your Student Profile & Course Fees

How do I add a new course?

You can add or enroll for a new course on your Student Profile page, or you can register directly from the Library. Each course listed under Enroll Today (library) can be added to your account from it's information page with a few clicks.

Discount for Agency and Brokerages?

If you work for an Insurance Agency or Brokerage in Canada, you qualify for a 25% discount. Just email us, or use the Contact Page on this site, with your information and we will send you the Discount Code.
This discount applies to any Insurance Courses we offer, including Continuing Education courses.

How do I manage my User Profile?

By clicking on your user name at the top of the page, or by visiting

How do I pay for a new course?

You can pay for your course with a credit card online. Your transaction is processed by a secure 3rd party, we do not see any information about your credit card other than your name and the last 4 digits of the card.
Unless specified otherwise, all fees are in U.S. Currency. (Februray 1st 2018)

How do I reset my password?

You can access your user profile by going to and click on "Forgot your Password"

What are the technical requirements to view the lessons?

Windows: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and most versions of Internet Explorer*.
Mac: Current versions of Apple's built-in Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
Tablets: no known issues on Android or Apple IOS
Smart Phones: no known issues on Android or Apple IOS
*** Internet Explorer 11 has rendering issues and is not recommended. Some issues on the latest versions of Internet Explorer on Windows 8 & 10.

Refund Policy

Unfortunately, we do not offer refunds on online courses.

What is the link to my profile page?

You can find your user profile by either clicking your username on any page where you are logged in, or by going to

How do I extend a course?

A one-time extension for one month is available within one year of expiration date for the amount of $100.
This extension is only valid for the current course, and is not applicable to major version upgrades even if the course keeps the same title.
The $100 fee is not refundable..